Thursday, January 7, 2010

The New Year

Yesterday was my first fencing lesson of the year!

fencing

Before fencing I was doing yoga. One suggestion I've heard is to rest in savasana at the end of yoga and imagine yourself doing something you want to do very well. It can help you do that thing better. I was naturally thinking of fencing. Parry, thrust, lunge!

Then, I thought about what I really wanted to be good at in fencing. Instead of winning, I saw myself losing a bout, but being happy for the person who won.

Later, in my fencing class I won one bout and lost one. I always learn a lot about fencing by losing. And when I lost, I was genuinely happy for my friend!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Abe - what a great post and welcome to blogging. What you write re winning/losing rings true. I feel it a lot while being an adult figure skater - it's such a "young" sport to begin with (not many grownups do it) and winning really isn't about medaling. Medals are great - but setting personal goals and trying to meet them is greater - and seeing friends do well? That's really fun.

    ReplyDelete