Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Still Cooking

Last week I made "Baked Cut-Up Chicken with Fruit" from Mollie Katzen's Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen.


Although Ms. Katzen suggests using a cut-up whole chicken, I just used a package of chicken thighs which my father bought at Whole Foods.  First, I made a spice mix with pepper, paprika, salt, cumin, and cinnamon.  Then I rubbed the chicken with it.  After I put the thighs in the pan, I surrounded them with lots of peeled garlic cloves, sliced onions, dried apricots, dried figs, and prunes.

Finally, I finely sliced an orange (including its peel) and mixed it in, too.  Ms. Katzen points out that it is really important to use an organic orange since much of the pesticide used on non-organic citrus stays in the peel.

After I finished filling the pan, I put on the lid and put the dish in the oven for an hour. After that time, we took the dish out, basted it, and flipped the chicken. Then I put it back in for twenty minutes.  Then I removed it again, basted it, and put it in for a final ten minutes without the lid.

I served the chicken on some whole wheat couscous.  My mother made steamed broccoli with a little walnut oil to dress it.  It was a great meal.  I am eager to make it for my grandparents when I visit them in Florida for our New Year's celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment